Monday, January 17, 2011

Long weekend

How was your weekend? I had today off, and that was great. I'm off to work tomorrow and I'm not looking forward to that. Oh well ... life! I visited my local fabric shop this weekend and scored some great fabric for half off! The fabrics are all by Nancy Wolff. Her designs are so whimsical. Here's what I got:


I really don't buy a lot of kiddie prints (did I just type that?), but these were just too cute. And on sale too! Now I'm wondering what the heck I'm going to do with these. I made a couple of baby blankets (with minkee ... I'll need to post that later), but these don't seem appropriate for blankets. I'm thinking fabric bins. My niece has toys all over and her mom has some bins that are easy to transport. So that's an idea. We'll see. That might be my next project.

Speaking of projects, I finally, finally worked on some hippo pouches that I had cut months ago. Here's a peak:


I've been working on perfecting the zip corners. I do not like zippers with the wonky, slanting corners. I think these came out not bad. I did topstitching on the first one (dark blue, top one in photo), but I don't like how the stitches are not straight all the way across (I think it's because of the linen-type fabric). So I didn't topstitch on the cream and black pouches. Not sure what I'm going to do with them. Sis Jess already had her eye on them. As usual. Wondering what the inside looks like:


Red stripes! Perfect with the red zipper. I think I'll be sewing up more pouches real soon. I'd like to get some ready for my Guava Girls Etsy shop, which isn't open yet. Maybe soon.

While I was working on the last pouch, the hubby brought me a little treat:


A yummy cupcake. Now, I've been on the Special K diet for the last two weeks to kind of jump start some weight loss and to also start eating better (I never eat breakfast and usually take leftovers for lunch). The good news is that I lost almost 10 pounds in two weeks. Woo-hoo! I'm hoping I can keep it up (and start walking again). Anyway, that cupcake sat there for all of 10 minutes before I took a bite out of it:


Yummmmmm .... it was soooo good! I have a few more in my fridge ... I'm going to have to bring them to the office so someone else can eat them. I had to try out the recipes in preparation of my niece's first birthday. Yep, I'm going to be making cupcakes again. This cupcake and frosting are keepers, and if all else fails, this is what I'll be baking for the birthday party. I used Smitten Kitchen's best birthday cake recipe found here, and the best frosting the Pioneer Woman ever had, found here. It really is a great frosting. And pretty easy, too. My kind of recipe. For some reason, I've been obsessed with Pioneer Woman ... I've tried a couple of her recipes over this long weekend and they were delish! Yes, yes, I am on the Special K diet, but you're allowed a sensible dinner ... and I kept my dinner portions sensible. And no nibbling on leftovers the next day.

This is a rather long, rambling post. I have to be up bright and early tomorrow morning for another week of work (at least it's only 4 days), so I will end here. Oh, and I haven't figured out any real goals yet. Sigh! But I'll be back ... hopefully sooner than you think!

No comments: